Read on for some frequently asked questions and our answers to these questions. If you have any questions that have not been
answered on this page, don’t hesitate to ask one of our advisors by dialling 0345 3192 247 or using our online chat facility.
Faulty electrical work is incredibly dangerous – every year, defective electronics directly lead to around ten deaths and 750 serious injuries in the UK alone. With a few simple precautions and a bit of foresight, you can work safely with electricity and avoid any electrical home emergencies.
Our home emergency cover is a great way to deal with the consequences of these emergencies, and our appliance cover will enable you to repair or replace any electrical appliances you break without putting a hole in your wallet, but for the sake of you and your family, it is vital for you to take steps to prevent these incidents from occurring in the first place.
You should fully uncoil any extension leads before you begin to use them. If you are using the extension lead to power anything that contains a heating element, ensure that the lead’s flex rating is enough to safely handle the appliance’s wattage.
Be careful not to overload extension leads and socket outlets, such as by over-using adaptors or by plugging in a lot of high-wattage equipment. Look at the back of the adaptor or extension cord to check its maximum load before you use it. For further information, see our advice on safe use of extension leads.
Isolate and unplug
Turn off your main circuits at your fusebox by removing your circuit breakers or removing circuit fuses before performing any work on your home’s electrics or any work that may see you inadvertently contact an electric cable. If you’re putting a hole in the wall, for instance to add a wall fitting, use a cable detector to ensure you are not going to cut into an electrical cable or your plumbing.
Before working on any appliances, unplug them from the wall socket; do not just switch them off or switch off the plug, as this unnecessarily increases your risk of electrocution.
When replacing blown or broken circuit fuses, ensure you use the right fuse for the appliance. Do not attempt any DIY repairs by using other metallic or conductive objects in lieu of a fuse; this is incredibly dangerous and can easily cause the plug to overheat, leading to an appliance breakdown or even a house fire.
Check your electric appliances regularly to see if there are any signs of wear and tear, such as damage to the plug, breaks and cuts in the cables or loose connections. Repair or replace these damaged appliances as soon as you can – claim on your 247 Home Rescue appliance cover if you have it!
When outside or in wet conditions
Electricity can easily pass through water, so be very careful when using electrical equipment in wet conditions or when outside. Do not operate electrical equipment when your hands or body is wet, and do not take electrical appliances into the bathroom. Do not use garden tools or any electrical equipment outside if the weather is wet, and use RCD adaptors for all electric garden tools and power tools.
Still having trouble?
Don’t attempt to make any changes to your electricals if you are unsure or not confident. Some electrical work in the home requires compliance with Part P building control and needs to be done in accordance with BS7671 wiring regulations. Don’t forget – electricity is VERY dangerous and can kill you.
Instead, call 24|7 Home Rescue on 0345 3192 247 and we can help. Our technical teams will run through some very simple troubleshooting with you over the phone to see if your problem can be resolved easily and if not, they will book one of our qualified and highly knowledgeable Part P certified engineers to get you back up and running as soon as possible.
247 Home Rescue accepts no liability for any injuries or damages you sustain following the advice on this website. If in doubt, seek professional assistance.