Bed bugs can be very difficult to eradicate; however, with diligence and hard work it is possible to get rid of them without calling out the professionals.
According to the experts at London Pest Control bed bugs aren’t a sign of poor hygiene or dirtiness, but simply bad luck.
If you live in an apartment, you could be more prone to infestation as bed bugs can move between flats. In these circumstances it’s always best to alert your property manager so all of the necessary inspections can be performed. Simply asking other tenants if they have bed bugs won’t suffice as they may not know or be willing to admit that they have a problem.
Step one – find out which rooms are affected
Before you start the eradication procedures, find out which rooms are infested. Bed bugs can live anywhere that people sleep; therefore, even sofas and futons can become affected.
Infestation usually starts in one room and then spreads to others, so the sooner your find the route of the problem the sooner you will get rid of them. Wait too long and they could completely contaminate your home.
Step two – set up a safe place to sleep
One of the biggest mistakes people make it moving to another bedroom to sleep. If you do this the bed bugs will more than likely follow, and you’ll just infest a new area. Take off all of your bedding and wash your blankets and sheets in hot water; then put them in a tumble dryer on a high heat for at least 30 minutes.
While you’re waiting for your bedding to dry, thoroughly vacuum your mattress and the carpet under your bed. Once completed take the vacuum cleaner outside and immediately discard the bag.
Step three – clean your bed frame and headboard
AgriLife states that 70% of bed bugs live in your bedding and mattress; however, that still leaves 30% in the frame and headboard.
While vacuuming will get rid of the majority of adult bed bugs, it probably won’t eradicate the eggs; therefore, you should thoroughly wipe down the frame and bed board with a good-quality liquid-based pesticide to finish off the job.
Step four – isolate your bed
Install bug interceptors on the feet of your bed. These sticky pieces of plastic or card will prevent bugs from climbing up onto your mattress. In addition, consider purchasing bed-bug-proof encasements for your mattress and bedding.
Contrary to popular belief, pesticide sprays alone won’t help you. While they will probably kill bed bugs that are exposed, they almost certainly won’t kill bed bugs that are hiding in the cracks and crevices of your bed frame, carpet and walls.
Don’t throw away your bed frame, mattress or bedding. While this is a sure-fire way to eradicate bed bugs in that particular area, they’ll only find their way back again if they’ve spread to other rooms. The money you spend on replacements would be far better spent on hiring a professional pest control service.
In most circumstances the above steps will be enough to completely eradicate bed bugs; however, you should still continue to monitor the rest of your home for a few weeks afterwards. If you find a bed bug after taking these procedures, call a professional pest control service.
POST BY AARON HOPKINS – North London Pest Control
Still suffering with bed bugs? Let us help!
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff can help you over the phone or get a specialist pest control to come visit you ASAP.
Don’t live in misery – give us a call on 0345 3192 247 and leave it to the professionals. We work with tradesmen up and down the country so you’ll never be far away from a qualified engineer to put an end to your pest control problems once and for all.